swanmoco.jpg (28382 bytes) Swansea Motor Club

1924 to 2013

swanmoco.jpg (28382 bytes)

 

Club History
Windscreen
Autotests
Llys y Fran

Map of the  Hillclimb Course

Llys y Fran Entry forms

Llys y Fran Results Archive

Videos

Gallery

Links
Discounts
Get Involved

Join Swansea Motor Club

 

The Swansea Motor Club and The Association of Welsh Motor Clubs

During 1955 the Swansea Motor Club sought to improve the relationship between the clubs of South Wales and further the sport. A meeting was held at the Caswell Bay Hotel on Tuesday 6th September to which members of the South Wales Auto Club, Welsh Counties car Club, Barry Auto Club and the Pembrokeshire Motor Club were invited. An Inter-club Committee was set up and one of the first actions was to draw up a Calendar of Events for the next year for the clubs present at the meeting.

On September 18th 1956 at the St Mellons Golf Club more clubs joined and in March 1957 delegates from all the clubs in South Wales got together at the Cardiff Aero Club and the Association of Welsh Motor Clubs was formed. Basil Tye, then the Assistant Manager of the RAC Competitions Department, was present. A E Dryden, Chairman of the Swansea Motor Club and the founding force behind the association, became the Vice-Chairman. Considerable progress was made with all the North Wales Clubs joining to make it truly an all Wales Association. The WAMC continues to be a major force for good in Welsh Motorsport and Swansea Motor Club members can have great pride and satisfaction in having played the major role in starting such a fine organisation.